Re: Magnetti Marelli autoboxes

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 04:17:20 +0000
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided (alfa-digest) wrote:

> You need excellent computing power integrated with the engine
> management computer. You need slick high pressure hydraulics with
> reliable electrical controllers. You need an electronic throttle
> control.

Do I understand correctly that the driver has no direct control of the
clutch?  When the driver selects a different gear, or 1st gear from
neutral, the clutch is disengaged and re-engaged automagically?

How well does this work in situations like a line of cars going up hill
approaching a stop sign?  The computers have no way of knowing in
advance that you only want to go forward one car length and then stop
again.

In my experience with a modern, ordinary automatic transmission it does
a good job of changing quickly to the appropriate gear, but it has to
change gears too often, because it's always in the wrong gear, because
the computers have no way to anticipate what's going to be wanted next.
For example, I'm 3rd or 4th in line at a stop light where I want to turn
right sharply.  When the light turns green I accelerate moderately, then
slow, turn, and accelerate again.  The autobox shifts up (maybe twice),
then down, then up again.  With a manual I would just stay in 1st until
after the turn.