Re: Magnetti Marelli autoboxes

>>Do I understand correctly that the driver has no direct control of the
clutch?  When the driver selects a different gear, or 1st gear from
neutral, the clutch is disengaged and re-engaged automagically?<<

Yes, that is right.

It works fine. The car will only change gear when in auto mode, or
you tell it to or you over rev the engine. Bascially the driver
retains control of the gears

There are also models which have a conventional gearstick along
with an automatic clutch. These use sensors in the accelerator
linkage and gear stick to determine when to operate the clutch
for you. Such systems have been used in Saabs (the 900
Sensonic), Renault (they called the Easy transmission) and
Fiat.

The thing I do not like with the Selespeed system is how
slowly it seems to change gear. OK, it may well be fairly
fast, but when you are just sitting there waiting for it to
do the job it feels like an age

All the best

Keith