Re: Magnetti Marelli autoboxes

THAT's the issue, really. When YOU are the one doing the shifting, the interval seems very quick because you are occupied the whole time. When you shift by flicking a paddle or pushing a button, you're involvement with the shift ends with initiating the event. Then you go into wait mode while you wait, without participating, in the shift. If you are used to a normal manual tranny, it seems as if the shift interval is long. However, I found that after I got used to it, it was very quick and I could dive deeper into turns before downshifting and I could pay more attention to cornering attitude, line, exits point, etc. In other words, It made me a better performance driver.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 with an ABNORMAL manual tranny ;-)