Re: audi (very little Alfa content)

Apologies in advance for the off-topic submission...

Wow, I never expected that my comments would get such a response.  It's
not as though I've done any bashing...

For those of you who were offended at the list of innovations I credited
to Audi: I never meant to imply that Audi had invented those items (I
used the word 'introduced'); I was simply suggesting that Audi deserves
some credit for putting such technology into mass-produced cars.

Also, a clarification regarding the CVT - I knew that CVT's had been
installed in other vehicles (the idea is certainly not new).  However, I
read an article (in Road and Track, maybe?) that congratulated Audi for
building a CVT with a steel-link belt and advanced computer control, such
that it is capable of handling high torque and a very wide range of
running conditions (even simulates gears in manual mode, if you like).
This is an innovation, and a fairly remarkable one, even if it isn't the
kind of gadget I'd like to have in my own Audi.

To the gentleman who complained about the plastic covers on the lug
bolts:  I feel your pain.  Audi has always used those #@?* bolts (all the
way back to the '83 turbo diesel I had), and I wish that they would
stop.  But really, are the plastic lug covers any worse than the chromed
plastic trim in the Alfa spiders, or, for that matter, most production
cars?  Take a close look at a comparably-priced Mercedes, and you may
find some equally-crappy stuff.

-John Barbera