RE: Innovation: Audi vs. Alfa Romeo

It's kind of funny, the issue of "invented" vs. "introducing to the
masses" is a complaint I've often heard about a particular large
software company. :-)

There's remarkable vision and creativity in inventing something that's
never been seen before, but there's a perspective and determination in
bringing those ideas to mass-market that can't be overlooked.

The Subaru Justy was kinda-sorta mass-market in America with the CVT,
but as a "real car", it was too small for the masses over here. It also
had very little horsepower. What Audi is doing with the A4 CVT is a
really great innovation.

Of course it doesn't mean I still wouldn't like to have a new Alfa Romeo
as an option, but when my tolerance for 10 year old used cars wanes, and
my free time for repair issues depletes, I'll have to find another car
to buy, and right now, I see very little I'm interested in apart from
the Audi A4 and the BMW 3-series. The Mazda Rx-8 looks very promising...
I love the Mini but I need a car that swallows up all the gear
associated with one munchkin and another on the way. 4 doors would be
nice, a wagon or hatchback would be even nicer...

I hate to say it, but if 156's were on the market here in the US right
now, I might have bought one already, even though it's a bit more that
I'm ready to spend right now. Hopefully in another year or two I'll be
able to buy an "expensive" car.

Glenn Wasserman
'93 Spider Veloce
'94 164 Quadrifoglio