Innovation: Audi vs. Alfa Romeo

> Besides, engineering at Audi never ceases to impress me. This is the
> company that introduced the quattro system, the five-valve head, the
> all-aluminum A8 and, most recently, the CVT drivetrain in the new A4.

Some responses to this post have pointed out, with criticism implied, that
Audi didn't develop any of these technologies and should only be given
credit for bringing them to the mass market.  This is arguably the same
thing Alfa Romeo excelled at during its golden age.  Aluminum engines, dual
overhead cams, 4-wheel disk brakes, 5-speed transmissions, mechanical fuel
injection, twin-plug ignition systems and other technical advances we
associate with Alfa Romeo had all been used before they were adopted on
production Alfas.  The company's contribution was to make them affordable
and reliable enough for mass production; we are the beneficiaries of their
mastery of production engineering at that time.

Dana Loomis