GA AROC annual Talladega Gran Prix track event

A thorough summary of the weekend activities is best left to one of the
regular GA AROC members in attendance.  I will instead give my brief thoughts.
This was the GA AROC annual Cheaha gathering, beginning with lapping your Alfa
(or whatever) around the Talladega Gran Prix racetrack on Saturday morning, to
be followed by a weenie-roast that evening at Mt. Cheaha.

With a full mug of Barnie's Santa's White Christmas coffee, a bit of floor
heat, and the wife riding shotgun, we set off for 'Dega at 830am.  We arrived
around 930, as cars were racing around the track.  I didn't personally know a
soul at the event, but had high hopes of making friends and making great
conversation in between laps.  I had finally gotten to meet Stan, one of the
regular digesters, upon arrival, who walked me through the familiarization
process, as I had never participated as a driver in a track event.  Bob
(Patterson I think) graciously donated use of his spare helmet, so following a
brief safety check, I was given the ok to put rubber to asphalt.  I felt a bit
intimidated as already lapping the track were some serious race-prepped
Alfa's, including a GTV6 with Nitrous that would flat out scream.  Someone
even brought out their 308GTSi, while others brought non-italian marques such
as an Audi, a couple of Triumphs, and an open-wheeled Lotus.  I started out
fairly slow, just fast enough to keep from being pushed around the track.  By
the end of the morning, I was getting a bit more brazen, pushing the car
harder than I have to-date.  I had great fun, and learned what needs immediate
attention on my car.  The back end, with new trailing arms, bushings
throughout, shocks, etc, did a fantastic job.  The front end however needs
much repair.  Most notable were the worn-out engine and tranny mounts, and the
driveshaft hanger bearing.

Seeing a wall of dark clouds approaching from the West, I knew I was in for a
wet ride home.  We had to depart around 230pm, and drove full-tilt boogie
towards Birmingham.  As the first raindrops hit the windshield, I pulled over,
put up the top, and hopped back in.  That was when I noticed the car was now
running on 3 cyls.  I popped the hood, checked each wire, and the #1 wire sent
me leaping about a foot off the ground.  Throwing caution to the wind, we
pressed on towards home anyways.  We experienced driving in the most
horrendous downpour of my driving career.  For about 3 miles, I literally
could not see beyond the hood, and was scared out of my mind.  I pressed on
anyways, fearing that if I pulled to the side, someone (likely in a monsterous
SUV) would choose my parking spot as theirs, and we wouldn't stand a chance.
We made it to the dry comfort of my garage, with repairs looming this week.
But hey, it was a great time nonetheless, and I can't wait to return next
year!  Thanks to those who attended and made me feel at home with the GA
group.

Greg McNair
84 Spider