Re: alfa-digest V8 #1219

Yes, I have driven a 147 in Europe extensively with Selespeed. I definitely agree that its better to have a manual that 'thinks' its an automatic that to have an automatic that 'thinks' its a manual. This type of tranny may be well developed for racing, but the consumer versions still have a ways to go before they are as good as fine, precise manual. They'll get there though. Its just a matter of development.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

On Sunday, October 13, 2002, at 06:34 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 08:28:52 +1300
From: "Mark Battley" <m.battley@domain.elided>
Subject: RE: manual with automatic shifting

Can any of you knowledgeable people explain to me what exactly "manual
with automatic shifting" means? Elsewhere in the article it says
"driving the rear wheels through a six-speed transaxle with sequential
gearshifting." My guess was that the gearbox works like a typical
motorcycle gearbox in that the same action shifts from 1 to 2 as from 2
to 3 and from 3 to 4, etc. and that the buttons on the steering wheel
spokes caused electrical actuators (solenoids?) to operate the clutch
and the gear shifter. Does "automatic shifting" mean it will shift for
itself if you don't push the button? Does "transaxle" mean it's mounted
in the back, away from the engine, like an Alfetta?
Your guess as to what "manual with automatic shifting" means seems
correct.  Whether it has an automatic mode to shift itself, I don't
know.  Transaxle does in fact mean it's mounted in the back, like an
Alfetta, or in this case like the current Maserati that Giugiaro
borrowed the drivetrain from.
Presumably it's basically just a six speed version of the current 5spd
Selespeed used in the 147, 156, and others including the Fiat Stilo Abarth
(with a 2.4litre 5cyl) - and also at the more exotic end of the Fiat empire
(Ferrari, Maserati). This is a mechanical gearbox with electronic clutch
(which I understand is a conventional clutch, with electro/mechanical
actuation - there is no clutch pedal), using a forward/backwards gear lever
and/or paddles on the steering wheel to change gear sequentially. It also
has an "automatic" CITY option. Push a button and it changes for you.

I've used it in a 147 and a Stilo Abarth. once you decide when to use the
gear lever and when to use the paddles, and remember which way to push the
lever to change up or down, it seems like a good system. Fast changes, and
it even does a blip on the throttle on the down changes. Much as I normally
dislike autos, the CITY option is useful when you are feeling really lazy.

To me, this seems like a better system for a "sporty" car than many of the
alternatives which use a traditional auto that can pretend to be a manual.

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand.

1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce
1989 Fiat Uno Turbo