re: Audi

At 1:34 AM +0000 10/14/02, alfa-digest wrote:
Besides, engineering at Audi never ceases to impress me.  This is the
company that introduced the quattro system, the five-valve head, the
all-aluminum A8 and, most recently, the CVT drivetrain in the new A4.
Audi's success in the LeMans series is legendary (as was its domination
of rally racing with the introduction of the quattro), and its new
RS-seires sports sedans are nothing short of spectacular (even if they're
WAY out of my price range).
Hmm...Didn't Yamaha have a 5-valve engine in 1984? Didn't BMW, Ferrari, and Maserati have aluminum V8's ages ago (I assume the production Alfa V8 was also aluminum)? I realize Audi's CVT is revolutionary, but I think DAF did the first one in the '60s.

Engineering at Audi never ceases to impress me either--for a number of reasons. Not the least of which is building an otherwise-world-class car like the 80/90 and stuffing an absurdly archaic non-crossflow engine in it. For crying out loud, is this an MGB or a German sedan from the '90s? Sticking the engine waaaay forward like they do, although great for AWD systems, means that minor front-end collisions are much more expensive than in other cars. Also, a 'slant' motor without a crossflow head? What's the point? At least put the ports on the top side for ease of maintenance! ("Gee, let's see if we can hide a turbo down there too and throw a few more radiators on the empty side of the engine bay...")

At least the 90Q had a real rear suspension, something BMW couldn't quite grasp until the E36 came out. ;-p

Joe