Alfa/Audi etc.

One problem for Alfa frankly has always been cheap owners who do not want to
do the maintenance (as compared to an Audi or BMW) - and what do you know
the car is "unreliable."  Maybe Alfas need too much maintenance, but I guess
probably not more than any Audi, BMW or most cars today.  Lets not forget
all the rusty BMW 2002's out there, and while I am not familiar with the
details of you read car mags such as EuropeanCar they regularly comment on
some expensive repair that is routinely required on whatever BMW or Audi
they are writing about.  One of  the big differences is that in the
intervening years Audi and BMW and Jag stuck around (even VW - lets not
forget how sad that operation was in the early to mid eighties) and improved
what they were selling and people today have positive experiences - Alfa has
essentially been gone for 10 years and never sold in any numbers anyway so
there is no good news and certainly no recent good news to offset the old
wives tales.