84 Spider

Fall is coming fast,so it is time to think of the Alfa work I
have to do.

I have seen 2 schools of thought on the necessity of a
functioning in tank pump,what is the consensus? Is it truly
necessary to maintain proper fuel pressure? Is it redundant? Is
there a generic replacement?

The only cars I remember with dual fuel pumps were 60's-70's
Rolls which used 2 AUF 301's in series (used solo on
Jag,MG,Sunbeam and Triumph).

Other than the test outlined in the shop manual,which it
passed,is their another way to further test the auxillary air
valve? One site mentioned that a too high amperage draw by it
may burn out the combi relay - but no specifics were given. What
should it draw?

After rebuilding the engine,testing all FI sensors/senders (all
within spec). The combi relay wasgiven an external ground,which
caused a great improvement.Fixing some hilarious PO mods to get
it back to stock ( a long story for another day),this beast
still will not idle smoothly/pull like my old Alfas. The
ignition has been replaced with an RML after the crank sensor
died at the indignity of being parked at a German resturant.

 I am left with 2 possibilities-new injectors or what is the
symptom/cure of an ECU going bad? It runs poorly cold,fairly
warm but never the Alfa engine I remember from my earlier cars.

Any good ideas? Yes,all the by the book L-Ject testing has been
done.

Anne O