RE: Spica car misfire

On August 27, 2002, Erik Wood wrote:

>Anyone care to comment?  My '74 GTV has developed a misfire that only
>occurs
>after driving the car for 15 minutes or so.  It doesn't seem like an
>ignition
>misfire because it isn't worse with full throttle (and increased
resistance
>across the plug gap).  I'm wondering if it is a fuel pressure problem
>because
>the fuel pump is quite noisy and the fuel pressure light sender hasn't
yet
>been fixed.  Is this type of misfire likely to occur with pressure
down?

Erik, I had the same problem with my '73 Spider.  Turns out the sediment
in the tank filter would settle over-night to the bottom of the filter.
The next morning, the car ran great until the fuel pressure light came
on 15 minutes later.  Seems the fuel flow would stir up the silt.
Unfortunately in my case, the root was a gummed up gas tank.  After the
second tank filter in two months, I got wise and cleaned it up.  It's
been running great since.  Oh yea, I got good at sensing the onset by
listening to the fuel pump sound go up and down.

Best Regards,
Richard Arnold
73 Spider
75 Spider