Re: 164 fuel smells

The vapour recovery system in the 164 is fairly elaborate. The small brass coloured tank in the trunk separates fluid gas from vapours and returns the fluid to the tank. The fat little white and gray valve on the passenger side end of this tank is the anti inversion drain valve. It allows vapour to pass one way but not fluid gas the other way if the car is inverted. In front of that (towards the front of the car, and therefore "behind" from the trunk point of view) is a one way valve which is supposed to let air into the tank but nothing out.

Finally, there's a vent line running to the driver's side fender where you'll find the charcoal absorption cannister. On that is a solenoid valve that only opens if the throttle is open wider than at idle. Only then is vapour drawn from the tank to the engine and burned in the usual way.

I notice my fuel tank develops a lot of pressure. Anyone else notice how much pressure is released when opening the fuel filler? None of my other cars develop pressure in the tank.

I'm going to check the routing of that tank vent line from the vapour separator down to the tank fitting this weekend. My mechanic thinks I need a new gas cap.

Cheers

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
91 Alfa 164L