164 fuel smells

The fuel rail leaks are pretty obvious if the engine is started from cold and the hood is opened right away to see the fuel leak out before the heat rises and either stops the leaks or evaporates the fuel too quickly to see. I found double clamping the ends of all the fuel lines on the fuel rail system fixed mine without replacing any fuel hose.

However, these cars have several causes for fuel smells. The fuel sender/pump access panel on the top of the tank is known to leak around the screw heads (you should get strong raw fuel smells in the trunk if that is the case). There's a recall for 91 models, there should be a sticker on the inside of your fuel filler door if this was done on your car. This involves repairing a leaky vent tube connection at the fuel filler neck inside the trunk.

There are two fuel lines behind the engine between the engine and firewall, one in one out that leak and are hard to reach so often don't get renewed when the fuel rail leaks are fixed.

Finally, I have persistent and worsening fuel vapour smells when the tank is filled and also when nearly empty. The system was pressure tested and had no leaks so we are putting a new filler cap on and crossing our fingers.

If I fix my problem I'll e mail you. Let me know if you find yours.
Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
91 Alfa 164L