Re: 1974 GT Veloce - - sagging rear suspension

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 16:05:23 -0400 John Hertzman <johnhertzman@domain.elided> wrote:

> Richard Welty writes "the LR side of my 1974 (not 1973 as previously
> stated) GTV is at least an inch lower than the RR side. i jacked it up
> and took the wheel off the LR side yesterday; no obvious mechanical
> problem is visible. anyone have any suggestions? spring given up? pieces
> missing?"
>
>  Assuming the garage floor is flat, and the car has not suffered major
> structural twist in an accident, I believe that the LR side being an
> inch lower than the RR side should mean that the LF side will also be an
> inch lower than the RF side. The 105/115, like most proper cars, has
> appreciably more roll resistance at the front than at the rear: witness
> the characteristic front-paw-in-air stance with rear tires firmly
> planted during balls-out cornering. My guess is that the fix lies in the
> front suspension spring spacers.

thanks. i'll investigate when i get a suitable section of garage floor
back.

on my non-level gravel driveway, measuring top of tire to top of wheel
arch, i get the following measurements:

LF:   4"          RF: 4.5"
LR:   1"          RR: 3"

bouncing the corners, everything feels the same side to side, although the
rear is substantially softer with a great deal more travel than the front.

richard