GTV6 valve spring mess: next question

Well, I figured out how to pressurize the cylinders--my neighbor (former VW/Porsche/Audi mechanic, current US Mailman, and father of one of my childhood friends) pointed out to me that there is a tool for removing Schrader valves to quickly empty tires, etc. Not only does this tool exist, but my family has one (thanks for pointing that out, dad--NOT). So my original plan for using the hose from my compression gauge will work after all--vavle came right out.

Now the current dilemma:
I put ~50psi in the cylinder (at which point the ancient air compressor I borrowed essentially gives up), and push down on the spring compressor, but the valve opens. D'oh!! Will more pressure solve this problem or is there something else I need to be doing to separate the piece and get the spring to compress and leave the valve where it is??

Also, any hints on how to compress the exhaust valves?

Yes, I know I should take the head off, but when that happens I want to have the guides, etc. replaced, and I can't even afford a head gasket now. And that brake booster doesn't look like it wants to go anywhere....

Thanks gang,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6 (not going to work tomorrow)
'73 Opel GT (not going anywhere anytime soon)