Re: compression testing

Modelle,
       I've often wondered the same thing myself.  There a couple of things
to watch out for in a compression test.  1) Make sure the battery is fully
charged.  2) Count the number of compression pulses for each cylinder and
don't stop until the compression saturates -typically 5 to 6 pulses.  Use the
same number of pulses for each cylinder.  3)  Hold the throttle wide open
each time to give each cylinder an unobstructed intake flow.  4)  Do the test
dry for all cylinders.  5)  Do the test wet for all cylinders with equal
amounts of oil.  6)  Repeat the wet test and see how much variation you get
from your original wet reading.
       I have found it difficult to get good repeatablity on the wet
compression test because it does depend on how much oil you inject.  So the
wet/dry compression test is good at telling you if you have a problem.  If
you pass the test, button things back up and quick worrying!  If you fail
(like you have), then the next step is a leak-down test.  Pressurize #1
cylinder with compressed air through an adapter in the spark plug hole.  Then
listen for leaks in the crankcase (bad rings or on rare occasion blown head
gasket leaking through the oil passages), muffler/exhaust (bad exhaust
valve), intake manifold (bad intake valve) or radiator (blown head gasket
leaking from the cylinder into the water passage).

Good Luck,
Charlie