Re: compression testing

Esteemed Digesti,
I ran a routine check of my spider's 1750 compression, and found that no. 1
cylinder was about 50% of all the others. Then funneling about 25 cc's or so
of motor oil into the no. 1 spark plug hole, I cycled the starter and redid
the test. The result:  no. 1's compression was nearly up to the same standard
as the other three cylinders. Is this a fair test of ring condition? The
motor burns very little oil. How do I know the improved compression was not a
function of the added oil volume to the combustion chamber?
Steeped in regard and 20W50, I remain,

Modelle in Somers Point