re: Optima batteries

Brian Shorey wrote:

>I'm interested in an Optima battery, specifically the yellow topped one
>which I believe is intended for infrequent use.
>
>They advertise as being light weight and as having a long life.
>
>My brother is in the battery business, and can get me an Optima battery,
>however he tells me that the part about the long life is marketing crap.
>According to him, an Optima battery will last a couple of years, no more.
>
>What has been people experiences with these things?  I'm looking at cars
>that may be driven every couple of weeks, or less frequently.
>
>Tia,
>
>bs

Hey Brian,
I've got red Optima batteries in all 3 of our cars -- The everyday Jetta, the
once or twice a month Montero, and the "I'm sure it will be back on the road
before the next millennium" GTV.  I also had a red Optima in my dear departed
BMW 1600-2, but I can't recall how long that battery was in service.

I thought the yellow Optimas were "deep cycle", which are intended for long
use between charging, like in an RV or a trolling motor on a boat.  Not that I
actually know anything about batteries.

I'm not sure there's much weight difference, maybe a little.  The most
important feature for me is no corrosive acid, I'd consider that a fair trade
even if they were heavier.  My experience is these are reliable and durable
batteries.  As noted above, our Montero sits a lot, probably not being driven
more than once or twice a month.  I installed the battery about 4 years ago,
it never fails.  The battery in the Jetta is about 5 years old.

Sad to say, the GTV has only been driven a half-dozen times in the last 2
years.  I don't have a trickle charger, so I just start it and run it until
warm every couple of months (great on the exhaust system, for sure!).  I
replaced the L/A battery in 2000 after it was slain by a forgotten dome light.
I put one of those "green knob" battery disconnects on it to protect from
another incident of brain fade, so far it's worked...  The last time I started
it was in December before I pulled the engine.

Once the engine goes back in, I PROMISE the car will see the road on a regular
basis.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

Tony
Portland, OR
74 GTV