groaning clutch pedal in Milano

Two days ago I noticed a low pitch squeal/groan coming from the clutch
pedal as I engaged (released my foot from the pedal) the clutch. At first
I thought something needed lubrication, but after crawling into the
footwell and spraying grease at every point which looked like it was
moving the problem has not improved. Getting the nozzle up there was
pretty hard so I'm not sure if I got the right angles to allow the lub
into the parts which were moving.

This morning the problem seemed maybe even a little worse. I'm no longer
sure that it is a lubrication problem. When standing next to the car
while someone else pumps the clutch the noise sounds pretty loud.

Any ideas about what this problem may be? Suggestions?

Thanks, Derek