re: Optima batteries

> I thought the yellow Optimas were "deep cycle", which are intended for long
> use between charging, like in an RV or a trolling motor on a boat.  Not that I
> actually know anything about batteries.

If the yellow top's are officially "deep cycle",  you probably don't
want to use them.  Deep cycles are designed to be run all the way down,
slowly, before charging up again.

Starter (regular) type car batteries are designed to live in more of a
float charge mode, and occasionally have massive loads, (the starter)
but never go way down into their capacity like the deep cycle.

So that either type works well and lives long in their application, they
are built differently..  as I understand it, the different alloy of lead
for the standard type causes them to deteriorate quickly if you deep
cycle them,  and the deep types won't live long if you yank 2-3000 watts
  for 5-10 seconds out of them several times a day..

This dosen't apply of course, if the yellow Optimas are actually
designed for starter service, but have something special to make them
better for occasional use.

Jon