RE: Distributor and Cat update and transaxle question

> > I was wondering if it is really true that if you are on hill and let the
> > car slide backwards just a little, when engaging the transmission if you
> > can have the timing belt slip.  Would automatics prevent this problem
> > and did they make an automatic gtv6 or only milano.  I heard that
> > the 2.5 engines have much less trouble with the belt that the
> 3.0 is this
> > true ?
>
> As a fairly new Alfa owner without a lot of historical knowledge, I'd also
> like to know more about this. Is this a myth, or is it true?
>
> If it is true, I'd really like to know a bit more about the mechanical
> reasons why this happens and how other cars avoid this problem.

V6 cars with belts only.

When you park on a hill, if the nose is facing up then leave the car in
reverse gear.  If the nose is facing down then leave it in first.

The problem is that if the engine turns backwards the belt tension is not
sustained and the belt can slip a tooth or more.

bs