164 Automatic Cold Shifting Problem

Help,  Does anyone have an idea why my 1995 164LS w/ automatic will not shift
from  2nd to 3rd when engine temperature is below 145 degrees ? If it is a
cold day, as I am driving, it will downshift from 4th to 2nd, & stay ther
till it comes back up to about 160 degrees, after I turn off engine &
restart.  It is also throwing out a bit of water as I drive. I can smell it
but can't find it. Just replaced the thermostat & problem was not solved.
                       Thanks in advance,
                        Myron Diamondstein         EyeDok2@domain.elided
                        1995  164LS auto
                        1984 Spider