Re: Distributor and Cat update and transaxle question

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Douglas Kunzman wrote:

> I was wondering if it is really true that if you are on hill and let the
> car slide backwards just a little, when engaging the transmission if you
> can have the timing belt slip.  Would automatics prevent this problem
> and did they make an automatic gtv6 or only milano.  I heard that
> the 2.5 engines have much less trouble with the belt that the 3.0 is this
> true ?

As a fairly new Alfa owner without a lot of historical knowledge, I'd also
like to know more about this. Is this a myth, or is it true?

If it is true, I'd really like to know a bit more about the mechanical
reasons why this happens and how other cars avoid this problem.

Thanks,
Greg