Re: fan's effect on water pump?

I definitely second this assessment-I remember being cautioned to not
overtighten the belt when replacing it, especially with a water pump of
dubious vintage-as the application of excessive lateral force would lead
to rapid water pump bearing failure.

>From: Alan Lambert >Reply-To: Alan Lambert >To: "Watry, Andrew
\(LNG-MBC\)" , "'alfa-digest@domain.elided'" >Subject: Re: fan's effect on
water pump? >Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:30:29 -0800 (PST) > >I have no
idea where the thought came from, but I can construct a >theoretical
reason----the fan use a lot more horsepower than the pump. >Therefore,
not only must the belt be tight enough to transmit the >additional power,
but the sideways component of the force transmitted >by the belt is much
higher. Accordingly, the sideways thrust on the >bearing is higher,
therefore it goes POW! > >--- "Watry, Andrew (LNG-MBC)" wrote: > > In the
ongoing discussion of horsepower mods for four-cylinder cars, > > it was
> > mentioned that the pump-driven fan, in addition to consuming > >
horsepower, was > > a strain on the water pump. Why is that? It's not
because of the fan > > belt, > > because with a stock water pump, you
have to use the belt to drive > > the pump > > regardless of whether you
have a fan. Does the air blast on the > > fan's > > blades exert undue
pressure on the water pump bearings or seals? > > > > I can imagine if
you use an aftermarket electric water pump you no > > longer > > need a
fan belt, or the stock water pump for that matter. > > > > Andrew Watry >
> Berlina Register > > 1973 rubber-bumper maroon Berlina for sale
($1500ish), if anyone's > > interested > > > > -- > > to be removed from
alfa, see > > /bin/digest-subs.cgi > > or email
"unsubscribe alfa" to majordomo@domain.elided > > >===== >Best Regards, >