Re: "Robert Rand" <r-mrand@domain.elided>

Robert -

It's much easier to install the whole kit-n-kaboodle (Motronic, along with
the engine) than trying to retrofit an older L-Jet engine with Motronic
pieces.

Now - before anyone says "it can be done" - let me first say that most
anything is possible.  Even putting a Volvo engine into a Milano is
possible.  But would I recommend it?  No.

There are lots of -little- things that are different between a Motronic
car and an L-Jet car.  The injectors are different, the sensors are
different, the AFM is different etc. etc.  Not to mention the crank pulley
will have to be changed, along with other engine hardware.  Your best bet
is to find a complete Motronic setup, rebuild the engine itself and strap
on the electronics once the engine is complete.  Heck, I'd go with the
2.0Twinspark/Motronic setup in your Spider.  Twinsparks can be had
relatively cheaply nowadays as the cars they came in get wrecked or
forgotten in the weeds.  Check out www.ebay.de (the German version of eBay)
  to get an idea of cost.

Is it cheap?  No.  It may not be the most cost-effective thing you'll ever
do for your Spider.

Is it worth it?  You'll get a resounding YES from me, and Larry Dickman of
APE fame.  It's easier to work with once installed, and like I said in my
had go-faster bits in the engine.  Just make friends with your local
VW/Audi/BMW tuner.  They have the software to program your Motronic
computer.

Nizam
88 75 3.0V6
94 164 Super 3.0V6 24v