Re: fan's effect on water pump?

I have no idea where the thought came from, but I can construct a
theoretical reason----the fan use a lot more horsepower than the pump.
Therefore, not only must the belt be tight enough to transmit the
additional power, but the sideways component of the force transmitted
by the belt is much higher. Accordingly, the sideways thrust on the
bearing is higher, therefore it goes POW!

--- "Watry, Andrew (LNG-MBC)" <Andrew.Watry@domain.elided> wrote:
> In the ongoing discussion of horsepower mods for four-cylinder cars,
> it was
> mentioned that the pump-driven fan, in addition to consuming
> horsepower, was
> a strain on the water pump. Why is that?  It's not because of the fan
> belt,
> because with a stock water pump, you have to use the belt to drive
> the pump
> regardless of whether you have a fan.  Does the air blast on the
> fan's
> blades exert undue pressure on the water pump bearings or seals?
>
> I can imagine if you use an aftermarket electric water pump you no
> longer
> need a fan belt, or the stock water pump for that matter.
>
> Andrew Watry
> Berlina Register
> 1973 rubber-bumper maroon Berlina for sale ($1500ish), if anyone's
> interested
>
> --
> to be removed from alfa, see
> /bin/digest-subs.cgi