Re: fan's effect on water pump?

Hi Andrew:

I thought about the same question when I pulled the fan off my Spider's
water pump about a year ago and converted to electric.  I immediately
thought to run the belt much looser, which I have been able to get away
with, and which should lessen the lateral loading on not only the water
pump's bearings, but those on the alternator, too.  I'd be willing to bet
that it took much more torque to turn just the fan (if it could somehow be
isolated) than it did to turn the pump alone.  Also, consider the axial
towards the radiator, which is eliminated by removing the fan.

Regards,

Dean W. Cains
Lutz, FL
'74 Spider Veloce