Re: Performance mods

Hey cats,

Wes Ingram introduced a cam at our Bay Area tech session this last summer that I
want to try out in a few months. He calls it the A16. He describes it as a bit better than
the Euro cam and is the highest performing cam he would recommend with a stock
Spica pump. Anything more and he recommends a bigger pump. At that time it was
$100 on exhange for your US cam. Seems a better price than a Euro cam and a good
alternative. It is a regrind. I also seemto remember him saying something about adjusting
valves to .010 or .011 instead of theusual .019. I don't know if it was specific to this cam
or what. I will ask about this when I purchase them.

The head on my Alfetta is ported with oversized intakes. Shaved .045 and stock pistons.
My engine builder was reluctant to put in higher CR pistons with this shave on the head.
The  head came to me with a Euro intake cam and a US exhaust. An odd setup,
everyone agrees, so I'll change this part soon.  I'm using stock Spica, K&N filters, and
Euro exhausts. The car  feels more lively than before, but not spectacular. It pulls great
way down low. Seems to not pull as well high up, but I'll flog it a bit at Sears Point next
month. Its very fun, and great smog results this month:

2500rpm	max allow	ave	measured
HC ppm	180		52	9
CO %		1.7		.5	0.0

Idle
HC ppm	220		60	19
CO %		2.0		.3	0.0

(sorry if the tabs don't line up)

I don't have HP figures. It would be nice to do that before trying a different cam. Anyone
want to organize a group thing at one of the shops here in the Bay Area? It could help
with seeing what HP for different setups yeild. Add to the knowledge by lining up all the
specs to HP and one could decide what they want to do by browsing the table.

Hope this helps someone wondering about mods. Anyone in the Bay Area is welcome
to drive it.

Stefano
Oakland, CA