Re: Stereo replacement in a 164

Ross asked what 164 owners have used as a replacement stereo unit in
their 164s. I have a Pioneer 1 = DIN size DEH-series CD/receiver unit in
mine. It is the exact same size and color as the old (Chrysler) unit. I
bought it from Crutchfield, who has the wiring harness adaptor for the
164 as well. I looked on their site this morning and found four units
listed that fit the 1 = DIN hole.

Installation is fairly easy. If you're familiar with removing the trans
tunnel carpeted pieces, you'll have an easy time of it. You'll need a
bit of patience getting to the screws at the rear of the OEM radio unit,
and you'll lose the metal rear retaining bracket (it doesn't fit with
the new units). I thought of getting the Euro stereo console, as the
flip-down cover and the 1-space size appealed to me as well. I couldn't
locate one at the time, so I opted for the Pioneer that fit the hole.

Rich Lasner
92 164S
ARA
AROC