Warm-up

My two cents worth on this:  my 91 164 Base takes forever for the gauge to
show that it's warmed up, and the temp needle moves about a lot - it runs
"cool" on long freeway stretches, and "hot" in traffic.  But only on the
gauge: the car behaves just fine wherever the needle happens to be pointing,
both right after a cold start and after it's been cruising for hours.  (So
far...!)  All of which, I gather from many other Digest postings, seems to
be pretty normal - or at least common - on a 164.

My 86 Spider, however, warms up fast, taking only two miles/five minutes for
the needle to reach the middle of the gauge.  After that, the needle never
moves from the middle, no matter how hard I drive it on the open road or how
long I'm stuck in Seattle's notorious rush-hour traffic.  Which, again, I'd
gathered is pretty normal for a Spider.

All of which would incline me to believe that the Spider's in pretty good
condition, but that (unless this behavior really is just a "feature") the
164 could use a new thermostat.

YMMV, clearly.

Smiles,

Jon