top latch question

Hey guys and gals,
I've been restoring my convertible top on my 73 spider this weekend. I've
got the header bow recovered in vinyl and the handle and latches
reinstalled. I bought new latch loops (the things you tug on to undo the
latches) and cannot for the life of me figure out how they attach. There is
a hole in the upper part of the latch lever and a hole in each end of the
wide vinyl loop. I know that you fold the loop and attach at the latch hole
but how?? The top didnt originally have the loops or the snap lock strips
that fold over the latches. I figured out the way to install the snap strips
by putting the end with the hole under the latch mount. But, all i can think
of that would hold the latch loops is some sort of very large pop rivet..can
anybody help?

Keith S.
73 spider