Re: Fire Extinguishers

Lawrence

There are standards for installing fire extinguishers which should also
comply with the class you're competing in. Over here, we use 1 kg dry
powder type because the more efficient BCF (halon) ones are banned for all
except some special cars - I had to apply for a special permit to keep the
plumbed BCF system in the GTA Jr.

Be careful when mounting extinguishers because in a crash and extinguisher
can turn into a lethal projectile. Mounting to the console or by means of
flimsy retainers and hardware is unacceptable. Scrutineers will reject an
unacceptable installation and should advise about changes necessary to
bring it up to standard. In the GTV I use a 3 mm thick aluminium plate on
which the extinguisher bracket with its quick release is mounted with 4
bolts of approved standard. The back of the plate goes under the passenger
seat rails and the whole assembly is held in place by the two front
seat-mounting Allen bolts  -- oh yes, our cars have Allen bolts and not the
Phillips screws we read so much about Its a simple matter to fit the
assembly before a meeting and take it out afterwards - just takes a few
minutes.

Les in Wellington, New Zealand