Miralli Plex problems update / Milano problems

I really should go back and dig out some of the great replies I received
from you folk regarding my ongoing Marelli Plex problemsif for no other
reason than to thank those who took the time.

First, I'm not 100% positive the problem is solved, but am up to about
96% sure.

Quick background: I had a used Marelli Plex and decided to install it in
my Euro fuel induction system (which of course includes Webers) Alfetta
GT.

The engine immediately seemed stronger, but most importantly, the always
erratic idle was Considerably more stable. For years it would idle
somewhere between 2400 rpm and 0 rpm.

At the very least this told me the erratic idle wasn't solely due to the
fuel system.

Some months after installing the Marelli Plex, on a hot day, after
driving along briskly, it began cutting out, wouldn't idle over 3k, then
died once I was able to get off the freeway.

I got out, looked under the hood, wiggled wires, wiggled the fuel
cut-off switch up and down, got in, it started, and drove home / back to
the shop.

This scenario was to repeat itself for over a year, especially on hot
days while driving briskly in the 'fast lane' on the freeway.

With suggestions from you kind folk I first replaced the magnetic
pick-up because of the frayed wires right at the point of the pick-up
itself. Do suspect they might have been cleaned up and a dollop of clear
silicone applied to each wire might have 'fixed' them.

It seemed to be somewhat more reliable. However, it still cut out as the
temperature soared.

All the while I was getting two specific suggestions: From Fred,
"Replace the ignition switch." This is still an option, but haven't done
so yet. I'll also add here that Fred lost interest in my problem when he
realized I'd, ahh, errr, retrofitted Webers to my Alfetta.

The other suggestion was, "It's gotta be a fuel problem." Since the fuel
system had not been a problem before installing the Marelli Plex And I
had fresh fuel filters I decided to concentrate on electric / electronic
solutions.

I then replaced the original General Motors ignition control module with
an after market one from Kragen (in the parking lot). Maybe better, but
still ended up cutting out.

As the San Gabriel Valley cooled and the palm fronds began to turn a
brilliant gold and red (ya gotta trust me on this one) the Alfetta GT /
Marelli Plex became considerably more reliable. That is until one
fateful evening only a few days after Christmas. I was heading to Venice
(West) to have a belated traditional holiday sushi dinner with my
daughter.

Unfortunately, a mile before the perpetually horrendous Harbor & Santa
Monica Freeways, the traffic virtually stopped. Whilst it was a cool,
perhaps even brisk evening, the Alfetta and / or Marelli Plex simply did
not appreciate the 45 minutes it took to go two miles.

Yup, She / they cut out big time. I called #1 (and only) daughter and
suggested I might be a tad late and could I camp on her couch for the
eveningjust in case. Driving Venice Blvd all the way, I made it there
late, but with no more hiccups.

 She had kept the light burning at the hair salon where she works
[Paper, Scissors, Rockdo stop by and ask for Kyla (this is a non-paid
advertisement)]. We had a delightful Christmas repast and I slept on a
rather uncomfortable couch before returning to my palatial shop / home
in the morning.

The following Monday I made two decisions: It had been suggested that
after market control modules 'didn't cut it'. So I called around to my
(somewhat) friendly General Motors parts departments. Found a Chevrolet
parts fellow not far away who would at least listen. I showed him the
original GM module and he visually matched it with one he had in stock.
While polite, his message was in essence, "You buy it, don't even think
about returning it."

45 dollars later it cut out on a cool day within five miles from
installing it. Obviously back to "Made in Taiwan'.

I also decided to appease the 'it's gotta be the fuel system group' by
installing a clear inline fuel filter from Pep Boys between the two carb
inlets. Actually it looks sort of cool, but if one thinks about it, why
would one install a filter between the carbs, rather than before?

The obvious reason being is so when one jumps out of their car stranded
by the side of the road, they can quickly check if there is fuel in the
line. You folk had Strongly suggested I Not try installing clear fuel
hose (since, apparently no safe hose existsalthough I still wonder
about the stuff that has angled lines running through it).

Since the weather remained coolish and I didn't get caught in any major
traffic jams, the Alfetta remained (?) reliable.

That is until one fateful (oops, been there done that) afternoon after
judging with among others, fellow Digesters and several other friends at
the Huntington Beach Concours (what me name drop?). Stopping by a
friends house on the way back to drop off some Alfa items, She cut out.
This was a first on city streets. And how dare She!

That was on June 3, 2001.

About this time a Digester casually mentioned Crane was having a bit of
a blow-out on Alfa spark plug wires. I hate the word cheap when I'm
selling, however when buying, a totally different story.

I bought three sets. Still I didn't install a set, because: In spite of
slightly giving into the 'gas problem' group, I really wanted to take
this a step at a time. I did carry a set of the ignition wires with me,
though.

While only two miles into a trip to Long Beach to drop off client's
beautiful Giulietta drums and brake shoes, She cut out. Had just lifted
the hood, and was retrofitting the first wire, when what to my wandering
eyes appeared a cell phone. "Wanna use it?" A very nice fellow had
stopped, backed up, and offered his help. I was oblivious to his
presence as I retrieved the ignition wires from the trunk and began to
assemble.

Startled, I thanked him, but felt / hoped this might cure the problem.
He smiled and remarked what a cool car it was (other than that) and
left.

Should you be a Regular and have a great memory, yes, I'm repeating
myself.

I made it to Long Beach, dropped off items and made it back. The only
downsides being I was stopped by a large Highway patrolman who was not
impressed by my nine month expired license plate tags. Going Euro does
have its downsides. CA smog testing equipment just doesn't understand.
As we speak, I'm on a two month extension...Or Else.

The other downside is the car cut out just as I returned home / to the
shop.

I've attempted no other fixes in the meantime (perhaps the best way to
proceed). Yesterday, I motored into Pasadena, then Hollyweird to drop
off an ancient, yet wonderful but  malfunctioning studio strobe unit.
Then back.  Hot! How hot was it? 92 degrees, at least. True that's
merely in F and not the C of those of you across either the pond to the
left or the Far right, but still quite peckish.

I even forced Her to romp along quite briskly on the way home from
Pasadena (CA).

She was quite content to be used thusly.

Bottom lines: After returning from Long Beach I tested the original red
ignition wires with an ohm meter. How even the slightest of slightest of
spark made it through to their appointed rounds still amazes me. While I
try hard not to compromise esthetics over reliability, blue wires just
don't look right under an Alfa hood. I naively thought the red wires
contained solid copper wires and would last forever. Wrong. They were
dead, dead, dead., and beyond dead. Why they even processed a spark
after cutting out and then starting up (fairly soon) again belongs to
The Mystery Of The Ages.

Oh yeah. Bill Schafer, put an ohm meter on your Milano's ignition wires.
True, Ethan  Schartman in #3086 has considerably more logical and
sophisticated solutions, but do check 'The Wires'.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA