re:chains

>>Does any other state in the USA require chains? How about rest of the world?
>>I used to live in PA and never heard of using chains, but it snowed plenty.

When I lived in Oregon (quite a while ago, before my Alfas), chains were
required by law on some of the mountain passes in winter.  That was icy
driving in the middle of nowhere, so I support those laws - nothing else
would offer the same degree of safety.  IIRC, the police enforced
chain-ups at the ends of the passes, so they wouldn't have to haul dead
people out later on.  On more heavily travelled roads or closer to
civilization, it's a tougher call...

    Jeff Matson