chains

Jorge wrote;
<<So, what should I do?  What do you guys in the snow suggest?  I like my
Alfas low, so chains are hard to get and always make the clank-clank noise
no matter how tight, and on heavy now, I hit snow with the exhaust all the
time.>>

Does any other state in the USA require chains? How about rest of the world?
I used to live in PA and never heard of using chains, but it snowed plenty.
Seems silly, particularly with RWD - you can get going, but with no front
traction cannot stop or turn. I suspect (as another lister wrote) that the
chain requirement is in place to force lower speeds. Also it is probably due
to many Californian's unfamiliarity with snow driving.
Greg