Re: Advice for First Time Lowering of Spider Top

Ken,

Brian, as usual, has excellent advice.  Definately clean the window.  I'd start
with a hose, and then very light pressure with a soft cotton rag (I use old
t-shirts).  Mcguire's (sp?) makes a polish for rubbibg out light scratches, if
necessary, and a cleaner which they claim enhances optical clarity (?).  The
scratch-remover worked well for me; haven't had enough experience to say much
about the other.

Mercedes dealers sell top care products, which came highly recommended to me by
a VERY credible source.  Don't know about the Zymol products.

As for the towel bit, I use one, which I spread over the whole window and fold
in as the top goes down.  May not be necessary, but it makes me feel better.

Guide the window carefully as it goes down.  If it creases, it can marr the
clarity.  60 degrees should be a good temperature to put down a top.  Be aware
that at very cold temps, the plastic becomes brittle, and at very warm ones
(sitting in direct sun on a warm day), it becomes very malliable and can be
subject to warpage.

DEFINATELY use the hold-downs.

With my old top, I sometimes would lower it from within the car, perhaps while
at a traffic light.  This was stupid, and I don't do it with the new one.
Learn from my mistakes.

Hal Taylor
'86 spider veloce "Strega" (recent top).