105 fuel economy

I'm a little late on this thread.  I too, record every drop of gas that
goes in my alfas:

Berlina 1750 w/carbs, 11mm 300 degree intake cam, euro exhaust cam; Plex
electronic ignition:  20.9 mpg on my work commute, but got 23.2 at 80+mph
on the interstate traveling to Kansas City last summer.

Berlina 2000 w/carbs, 11mm 300 degree intake cam, euro exhaust cam; Plex
electronic ignition: 22.1 mpg on work commute, and no difference at 80+ on
interstate trips.

Spider 2000 with spica , 1750 cams, Plex electronic ignition:  25.2 on work
commute.   Last summer I had a string of high milage tanks that averaged
28.1 before it finally ended when the solenoid unscrewed so much that it
died on the road.  Apparently it had been loosening up and running leaner
and leaner.  I knew it was running lean (hard starting, fluffy response),
but after it quit on the road, I retuned it resulting in the 25.2 milage
above.

The work commute above is a wonderful and scenic drive on deserted  rural
east Tennessee roads, 25 miles one way.  Takes 30 minutes, but offers
frequent opportunity for 100+ on a few short straights.   Alfa roads!

Beater berlina 2000, 1750 cams, webers, stock distributor, w/low or non
existent oil pressure, rarely reved above 3000 rpm & used for short runs
into town and around the homestead: 17.8 mpg.

I am amazed that spica injected, much less webered alfas, can get 30+mpg.
Either I have a lead foot or run they run too rich.  But  I can't drive 55...

kct, Powell, TN