Re: alfa-digest V7 #1366

In a message dated 02/18/2000 6:13:30 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Another interesting thing I found was an electrical coupler in the glove
box
 which wasn't plugged into anything (it runs behind the glove box but was
 sticking in the glove box compartment and the two wires that ran out of the
 coupler were red and black). >>

On my "new" 91 spider I found the connector for the extending map light which
only came on Veloce models... so of course I found someone with an extra
light, plugged it in, and that's part of my program to Velo-cize the car.

The little courtesy lights can be "on the blink" if the lozenge-shaped bulbs
aren't making good contact or if the contacts have become tarnished, which
happens pretty fast in an open car.  Clean them up, rotate the lamps, also
rotate and clean up the switches, and see if that helps -- usually it does.

In a recent list of things for a new spider driver to keep in mind, I
neglected to add:

All the little electrical fittings in the cabin, SUCH AS THE FUSES, can build
up tarnish or corrosion, so it's a good idea to rotate everything you can
every six months or so

And today's torrential LA rains reminded me to remind my BW who was driving
her spider: if a truck or damned SUV or even a larger car barrels past on a
wet or semi-flooded road, you may be swamped and think you're in a dingy in
the middle of the ocean.  In wet weather if at all possible I think it pays
to maintain extra distance between your spider and other traffic.

And, of course, when you ride your bike at night, wear white.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA