When is an Alfa Not an Alfa

Fiat Could Soon Reach Accord to Build Alfa Romeos in Thailand

Turin, Italy, Feb. 21 <A HREF="aol://4344:30.bloombrg.389091.602536905">(Bloom
berg)</A> -- Fiat SpA, Italy's largest industrial company, is negotiating an
agreement to build Alfa Romeo cars in Thailand and aims to reach an accord
``in the near future,'' a Fiat spokesman said. The Alfa has never been
manufactured outside of Italy.

Fiat, the world's seven-largest carmaker, is negotiating with a carmaker in
Thailand to use excess capacity at the Thai company's production plants, the
Financial Times reported today.

``We are negotiating an agreement, and we hope to come to a conclusion in the
near future,'' said Fiat spokesman Gualberto Ranieri. He did not elaborate on
the talks.

Fiat has said it wants to expand in emerging markets. The company already
produces two car models in Asia, as well as some car parts in India.