Re: alfa-digest V7 #1370

In a message dated 02/20/2000 9:25:04 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
 Fred di says:
<< I
 think most interior lights are not under control of the ignition switch so
 current is direct from the fuse box.  >>

We used to call such devices "hot circuits" -- they were on independent of
the ignition elec. position.  Don't know if anyone uses that term now.  All
my Alfas have some devices on hot circuits (assume this is true of all cars).
 On a Saab I once had, the radio was on a hot circuit, as were a few other
unexpected int. devices, leading to a couple of battery killings in the first
week until I wised up.

In my GTV6 I know for a fact the light in the glove compartment is on a hot
circuit but is controlled by the headlight stalk; that light does not go on
unless the running lights are switched on.  I believe it's the same in the
spider.  (I purposely said "my GTV6" because for those of us with previously
owned cars, there is a better than even chance someone, sometime, has screwed
around with the electrics and what you wind up with may or may not be the way
it rolled out of the factory.)

Ken, I am surprised Fred didn't jump on you for running around with the wrong
fuses.  Maybe Hal is right, the difference between 7.5 and 10 amps isn't much
- -- but I wouldn't risk it.  I made an "emergency decision" to temporarily
stick a higher rated fuse in a circuit on the GTV6 just until I could get a
proper replacement and figure out what made it blow... and the result was a
mass of melted wires, a near engine fire, and a red face.  So, you may as
well add to your list of things to be aware of as a new spider owner: throw
an extra set of fuses in the glove compartment.  In itself, this will almost
insure you'll never need one!

Charlie
LA, CA, USA