A/C Control Unit

Hello Alfa list members.

(Sorry if you have seen this message before, but for me it appears that my
mailer is having problems getting this mail out.)

I just had my heater fan replaced on my '91 Alfa 164L, for which I was
sure was bad (made tons of whirring racket noise and then screeched to a
halt about nine months ago.) After the mechanic installed the new fan, and
put the whole car back together, he found out that the new fan does not
work.

I have paid for them to further diagnose the problem and he believes that
he has localized the source to be a bad A/C controller unit/board.
Actually initially they told me that the controller board was not being
grounded for some reason after they were tracing wires.  Still in the end
they have decided the controller unit is bad.  (Not sure if they see EU on
self diag test, per Freds mail.  In fact it sounds like this is not the
case.)

My question is, what is the likely hood of this conclusion, in that all
the buttons seem to function fine when I brought the car in.  Selecting
which vents and temp seem to work perfectly.  The only odd thing is the
main temp selection LEDs would wig out every once and awhile during
driving, flashing all the individual LEDs rapidly.  Does this sound like a
bad board? :(

If so, I have been told they are $1500 new.  Is this true? I do remember
some one on the list some time ago looking for a used one.  Does someone
know where I might have luck finding a used one?

Advance thanks to all!

Damon
damon@domain.elided
anderson@domain.elided