Milano running costs

- --============_-1262923861==_ma============

At 7:21 PM -0500 1/27/00, Neil Smith wrote:
>Here's a question, given the threads recently on running costs,
>particularly of newer Alfas.
>
>Felt the first signs of clutch slippage this morning. First call
>was to Eddie at Silicon Valley Perf. 4 hours plus $700 for the
>clutch (disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing etc.) Phew! $1000
>is a huge amount of money. Larry at APE then suggested a used
>plate/bearing kit and a new disc. The disc is $100, kit is $80
>plus Eddie's time comes out to more like $500. THAT I can do
>without too much pain or Top Ramen.
>
>What would y'all do? I know I run the risk of needing a new
>pressure plate or bearing if I go with a used one that turns out
>to be no better than what I have right now, but maybe that'll
>happen when I'm richer (or after I get my tax refund!)
>
>With all the trouble I've had this month it feels like the car
>is daring me to stop liking it.
>
>Neil
>'87 Milano Oro
>San Francisco

Neil-

I had my entire clutch assembly replaced shortly before my 3.0 Milano
was totaled.  (It had nothing to do with the clutch replacement.)  I
had it replaced as an entire unit for a number of reasons.  To
replace some parts and not others is foolish.  You are going to pay
it sooner or later, and I've found on Alfa's (as with most everything
else in life) it is cheaper to do it properly the first time.  Also,
it comes as a pre-assembled balanced unit.  I did not do the work
myself, but I seem to remember that the clutch portion of the bill
came to about $700 and that included labor.  However, I also had some
other work done at the time, but when it comes to money, my memory is
pretty good.

Good luck,

Fred Sacks

<excerpt>Here's a question, given the threads recently on running
[...]

</excerpt>