Re: 1967 Duetto Restoration

Some rambling thoughts...

The other source of gas odor in these cars is the gasket around the
fuel gauge sender. Assuming you have all the holes in the gas tank
plugged, this could still be a problem. You should be able to make
a gasket to go between the tank and the trunk floor. Either that,
or just use rope caulk. A generic gas cap should be available at
most auto parts stores. I got a locking one for my '67 GTV with no
problem. It does have to be a vented cap. I thought the boot around
the filler neck was available from Re-Originals, perhaps other
sources. Mine had no clamp to the filler neck. The fuel gauge
sender float is cork. It is supposed to be sealed in plastic, but
I'm not sure what you could dip it in that would be fuel-proof. I
wonder if the fuel-proof dope for model airplanes will stand up to
gasoline? On the fuel lines, I would just blow out the gas lines
and check them for leaks.