Re: engine hoist

No, no, no, Bruce. You're doing this all wrong. FIRST you locate the
right garage, THEN look to see if a decent house comes with it. ;=)

There are still a few options to consider. Most of the recent crop of
shop cranes can be had in a fold-up, or knock-down variety that takes
up a lot less space then one like mine does. Folded up, you might
mistake it for a Stair Master. (Lay off the peppermint Schnapps.) You
could also put up a small storage shed in the back yard, or next to
the house to keep the crane and the engine stand in. I have actually
taken my crane apart to put in my truck to pull remote engines. (Have
crane, will travel.) You can also rent such cranes. The rental ones
come with a trailer hitch, so you just hook up and go.

The first Alfa engine I pulled was done with a miserable rope hoist,
attached to flimsy garage ceiling beams that had been very cheaply
reinforced; I made a "fascia" (in the original sense of the word) out
of angle iron, additional wood beams, and steel wire. I even pulled a
truck engine out with this setup, but murmured prayer was in evidence
on that occasion. Pulling an engine with a ceiling hoist usually means
you have to pull the tranny out from underneath first, along with the
driveshaft, because you need to roll the car back. I don't really like
the idea of a hoist on a rail. I'd find someplace to put the crane.