Re: Cold-starting a 2000 GTV

>I am a novice in owning and driving older cars but I have recently
>acquired a '72 2000 GTV (UK spec).

Congratulations on your fine taste!

>On consulting the owner's manual in order to get to know the controls
>I discovered that the car has both a choke and throttle lever to
>the right of the steering wheel. Now, I'm familiar with using a
>manual choke on a modern car for cold-starting, which from my reading
>I conclude probably controls both the throttle and choke (air intake).

Correct, although depending on the type of carb the "choke" may either be a
butterfly that restricts airflow, or a separate circuit that enriches the
fuel supply.

>Can anybody explain why I have both manual choke and manual throttle
>controls?

They are, as you surmise, independent controls for the "cold engine"
enrichment (which are separate enrichment circuits, rather than "chokes"),
and a hand control for controlling the idle speed. The latter acts on the
same throttle linkage as the accelerator pedal. Having the separate controls
just gives you the ability to use whatever combination suits your situation
best.

>Secondly, and most importantly, can anybody give me any tips on
>how to best use these controls during cold-starting?

Yes, ignore them both. The standard cold starting technique is to give about
4 pumps on the accelerator pedal (which causes the accelerator pumps to pump
excess fuel into the carb throats, giving a rich mixture), then hold the
accelerator pedal at about 1/4 throttle and crank. If it doesn't start, give
it a few more pumps and try again. Sometimes it helps to pump a little while
cranking. It may take a few pumps on the throttle to keep it running for the
first few seconds after it fires. Once it is running, IF needed, you can use
the hand throttle to raise the idle slightly for the first few minutes to
stop it stalling.

Normally it should start first or second time. The exception to this is if
the car has been sitting for a while (week or more?). In this case it may
take quite a lot of cranking (do it in bursts to be kind to the starter
motor) for it to refill the float chambers in the carbs (the petrol
evaporates out).

Unless it is particularly cold (below freezing?) you should not need the
"choke". The inlet manifold/ports are so so short and straight that there is
not the same problem with the mixture condensing on the walls as on a car
with a single carb on a convoluted manifold. The alloy head and manifold
also heat up quickly.

In the relatively mild conditions in Auckland (minimum of about +5degC in
winter) I have never used the choke, and rarely need to use the hand
throttle. It just chugs away at a few hundred rpm for the first minute or
so.

Have fun with your new beauty!

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand.

1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce

Alfa Romeo 105 series Bertone Coupe home page and register at:
      http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/1806/105GTV.HTML