Cold-starting a 2000 GTV

I am a novice in owning and driving older cars but I have recently
acquired a '72 2000 GTV (UK spec).

On consulting the owner's manual in order to get to know the controls
I discovered that the car has both a choke and throttle lever to
the right of the steering wheel. Now, I'm familiar with using a
manual choke on a modern car for cold-starting, which from my reading
I conclude probably controls both the throttle and choke (air intake).

Can anybody explain why I have both manual choke and manual throttle
controls?

Secondly, and most importantly, can anybody give me any tips on
how to best use these controls during cold-starting?

Thanks in advance for any help received,

John Tresadern

72 2000 GTV
97 146 1.8 TS