Re: Henry Ford and Alfas

I believe the official biography of Henry Ford mentions this quote as
being apocryphal. The respect intended is twofold. First, he could be
assumed to lift his hat out of respect for their ability to make cars
with such elegant styling and substantial performance. Second, he could
be lifting his hat in amazement that they could continue building cars
with handcrafted quality in spite of the onslaught of mass-production
that Ford himself had pioneered. He would thus be properly amazed that
they could stay in business!

"When I see an Alfa Romeo, I lift my hat" -- Henry Ford