Re: Spider drivetrain shutters when slowing to stop

Judging by the description, this sounds like it could be bad driveshaft
u-joints. The common failure mode is for them to first tighten up (lack of
grease?), then loosen up as the needle bearings disentegrate into dust. The
best way to inspect them is to remove the rear section of the driveshaft
(after marking all connecting surfaces for correct realingment) and rotate
the joints. The movement should be entirely free and smooth, with no binding
or slop. To replace the u-joints, obtain genuine replacements, and, unless
you are an expert in this field, try to find a shop you can trust-- the
driveshaft is rather fragile in that it does not hold up well to pounding.

Also check the rubber donut at the rear of the transmission. Replace it if it
looks cracked, separated, or deteriorated. But the sound you describe seems
like u-joints. The Spiders are hard on them.

- --Caxambu
1969 1750 Spider
Seattle WA