Henry Ford and Alfas

Regarding Henry Ford's infamous quote -

According to Griffith Borgeson's "The Alfa Romeo Tradition", the source of the quote was a conversation between Henry Ford and Ugo Gobbato, when Gobbato visited Ford in Dearborn in 1939.

The "actual" quote (according to Gobbato's son) is "When I see an Alfa Romeo, I lift my hat".

For those not in the know, Gobbato headed Alfa from 1933 until 1945.  After WWII Gobbato was tried twice as a collaborator - and cleared of all charges both times.  However, someone apparently didn't agree with that decision.  On the morning after the trial, Gobbato was walking home from the Portello plant when a Lancia Augusta pulled up along side him, two men got out and gunned him down.

- - Paul Witek